Tuesday, May 14, 2013

How long it took us to get pregnant

I wanted to address another question I have been getting a lot via personal messages. A lot of people may think this is really personal but I'm a very open honest person and do not mind sharing my experiences with you all. A lot of people have asked me how long it took to get pregnant and if my husband and I had trouble getting pregnant.

My husband and I decided that we wanted to have kids after 5 years of being married. We have said this from day one. Last summer we celebrated 4 years of marriage in South Africa. We knew that would be our last big vacation as we were ready to settle down and start a family. We decided that I should get off birth control two months after returning from vacation to allow my body to clean out. We also thought it could possibly take us a year to get pregnant so it made sense to get off it right about then.

Now let me rewind back a little. About 6 months before going on vacation I had stopped having a period. Two months had went by and no period. I freaked out and made a doctor’s appointment. My doctor told me that my body fat was that of an athletes, it was basically too low. She indicated that there was nothing wrong with that, however, if my husband and I wanted to get pregnant we would not be able to without upping my body fat. She suggested upping my carb intake and working out a little less. Even though we were not trying to get pregnant just yet, it scared me to know we could possible face problems getting pregnant if I continued to maintain that low of a body fat. I listened to the doctor and upped my carb intake and allowed myself more rest days.

Even after upping my carb intake and working out less my period still didn’t return right away. When it did return, it would be a one day period that lasted about 4 hours and that was it. This went on for about 6 months. When we returned from Africa and I got off the birth control I was on my period returned 2 weeks after being off birth control and it was the NEVER ENDING PERIOD lol. I had a period for what felt like 2 weeks straight. The next month we got pregnant. Most of you know what happened with that pregnancy (I did a blog on it not too long ago), unfortunately I miscarried. Two weeks after miscarrying, without having a period, we found out I was pregnant again. So even though we got pregnant right away, it took us about 3 months to get pregnant and have it be a healthy pregnancy.

All in all it wasn’t hard for us to get pregnant, but it could have been if I continued to keep my body fat too low. I’m so glad I listened to my doctor. If you are no longer having a period, please go see your doctor!

I do recommend being off your birth control for a good 3-6 months before trying to get pregnant. I feel like I got pregnant so quickly after being off of it that it may have caused complications for me.

Nothing ever goes as planned. Everything happens when you least expect it, so have patience and remember everyone is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment